Saturday, July 26, 2014

Labor Surprises!

Prior to giving birth, I read a lot, talked to friends and family, watched videos of women giving birth, took the tour at my hospital and more.  I did everything I thought I could to prepare for my birth experience.  And yet, there were things that still surprised me.  Here are a few unexpected things that happened to me:




  1. Having your water break isn't always a cut and dry experience - Okay, so it is never a "dry" experience but with me it was also a bit confusing.  I woke up at 2:30 AM to pee and when I stood up: gush.  It was early in the morning and I was half asleep and I wasn't quite sure that my bladder hadn't just let go.  Okay, I was pretty sure it wasn't urine but not 100% sure.  The most interesting thing was when I got to the hospital, they were not sure either! They do a little litmus type test and it was inconclusive! They did two more tests on me and they all came back inconclusive.  No idea why. Eventually, I was admitted because as I was laying there in the hospital bed the doctor could see the water flowing out of me.  
  2. Labor can be boring - I feel guilty even writing this but it is true.  My labor experience was long and parts of it were just not that exciting.  After the initial excitement of believing our baby was on the way...hubby and I experienced several hours of down time.  I tested positive for Strep B so I had to stay at the hospital after my water broke for regular antibiotics and and IV.   I was having contractions but could barely feel them and they were very irregular. So we walked, I used the labor ball, drank water, walked some more, used the breast pump and did everything I could think of to get this baby on her way. Eventually we decided to use pitocin to get things moving and things got more exciting from then on, but there were many hours of just nothing.
  3. You are not in labor yet -Okay so I just said that labor can be boring.  But technically, I wasn't actually in labor yet.  Just because your water breaks doesn't mean you are in labor. Even when my contractions started getting painful, really painful one of the nurses said I still wasn't "in labor".  This was one of those frustrating moments because I really felt like I was working hard to bring this child into the world and to hear that I wasn't in labor was rather disheartening. It didn't mean she wasn't on her way, just that we didn't meet the technical requirements for labor.  *sigh*
  4. Hot flashes - When the baby finally moved into position and it was time to push I had the worst hot flashes ever!  My mother would soak towels with icy cold water and throw them on my back and the relief only lasted about 30 seconds. She said a normal person would have screamed.  I just sighed. This didn't end until I went in for the c-section.  
  5. Epidurals don't always work - Listen carefully when the anesthesiologist tells you all the things that can happen with an epidural including the fact that it may not work.  Mine worked early on but I had to have it boosted twice. During the pushing phase I wanted to be able to move around anyway so I finally just gave up on the epidural. 
  6. Not pushing, when your body wants to push, is painful - After three hours of pushing, the decision was made to have a c-section, and it was time to stop pushing.  I had to wait about 30 minutes before the brought me to the operating room.  The contractions during that time were the worst I had. 
  7. C-section guilt - Laying flat on the table I felt so many emotions.  The primary one was guilt for having a c-section.  I sobbed and apologized to my unborn baby while the doctors and nurses worked.  I felt like I failed her by not having a vaginal birth.  Of course I know this is beyond ridiculous but at the time it was awful. Once she was born and they laid my beautiful girl down on my neck, I didn't care about anything except that she was safe and healthy. But the guilt was something I would eventually have to deal with and let go of. 
  8. C- Section and vacuum use - I thought having a c-section was just a matter of opening me up and taking her out, but sometimes things are more complicated.  My daughter was wedged in the birth canal with her head facing back over her shoulder.  I couldn't feel anything but I could tell how hard they were working to free her from my body.  My husband kept a poker face the whole time but told me afterwards that it was terrifying to watch.   I could hear the panic in the doctors voice when she asked for the vacuum. Finally my daughter was born but those few moments were scary.
  9. Water weight - Some women have feet that swell during pregnancy.  I was lucky and this didn't happen to me.  But after being in the hospital for two and a half days hooked up to an IV with fluids I had a LOT of water weight.  My whole body was swollen but my feel were the worst.  It lasted for about two weeks postpartum. 

Every woman and child have their own birth story.  I went to the hospital at 4:00 on a Friday morning, and she was born by c-section on Sunday morning.  I went through every possible emotion in those hours from excitement and nervousness, to fear, anxiety and guilt.  It is true what they all say, in the end, when they put that baby in your arms, it is ALL worth it! 

I am new to blogging, and new to motherhood.  Please share your feedback. I would love to hear if you had surprises similar to mine or totally different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment